Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Keeping Up Appearances

A person might see me driving around town some time, pull up in a handicap spot (yes, I have a permit), and roll their eyes over witnessing a privileged little princess getting the primo parking spot. They may scoff, "There's nothing wrong with her! Save that for a real handicap person!"
Little do they know, had I not been able to park so close to my destination, I would be struggling to breathe.
To an outsider, I look like a slim, well groomed young woman. I'm well dressed. I wear enough make up to look healthy. I try my hardest not to look sickly. After all, the Gospel of Matthew says, "And when you fast, do not look dismal, like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, that your fasting may not be seen by men but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you"

OK, let's get real here, I really do hate when people play up their illnesses to their advantage, or act more dramatic than is necessary. Like REALLY hate it. But also, I'm a young woman in my early 20s! I want to look healthy! I want to fool the world and everyone who doesn't need to know that I am the healthiest thing they've ever seen! But I have secret: my hair is falling out and has been for months. There's several reasons that this is happening:
1. I'm on blood-thinners which cause hair loss. I'm stopping those tomorrow though. It's been over 6 months and after a scan next week, I won't have to think about blood clots anymore.
2. I'm sick, duh. My body is poorly oxygenated at times.
3. I've been stressed in the past. I can openly admit that I let the stress of a serious illness, among other things, get to me. I can honestly say that now I have such a better grip on things though. So hopefully that factor goes away.
4. I've lost a lot of weight. I went from being 114-115 at my heaviest to 81 at my lowest. Definitely not healthy. I'm steady now in the low 90's and trying to eat right to keep it that way.

I'm sure everyone around me has noticed my extensions that I clip in to try to achieve the "Texas" hair that I so desire. I also need to add that Heather at Topaz Salon in Austin did a great job of that for my formal last week, if anyone in Austin is looking for a hairdresser! This past week, I finally broke down and saw a dermatologist about my hair loss. Unfortunately, for the reasons I named above, there was not much help she could offer me other than trying to stay healthy, relaxed, and patient about the process. With that being said, please offer any personal tips and tricks your may have to help hair grow quickly, and thickly! I'm desperate!

On a completely gratuitous note, I also just started on Latisse yesterday as well. The product promises to help you grow more of your own lashes, which are also longer and darker. If I can't have hair on my head, maybe having some on eyes will be an adequate substitute. Here's my before picture at Week 0. I'll post another at Week 4 and Week 8 and so on! But seriously, hair tips! I want to keep looking like I don't deserve that handicap spot! Love, Love, Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment